The entire concept of website design can be confusing, overwhelming even, to just about everyone who isn’t an actual website designer. So we’ve decided to make your life easier, and we’ve written up a little summary of website design basics.
Understanding the basics will:
- help you understand the very basics of what separates a good website from a bad one
- help you understand exactly how website design can help grow your business
- help you find the right website design experts, and then let them do what they do best
So here’s how to get started with a little website design 101.
First up, because it is the easiest and the most obvious, let’s go over website designs that are just no longer acceptable in our digital day and age. We all know what makes for a bad website design without being told, because we’ve all been there. Websites that don’t load fast enough or freeze entirely. Websites with broken links, defective plug-ins, and slow loading or missing media. Website designs that are so frustrating, they force us to give up and take our attention and our business elsewhere.
Page speed is included in the top 3 factors that help rank websites #1 on Google, more than 50% will leave your website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load. And this is just one of the technical, back end aspects of website design that experts can manage for you.
One of the main goals of website design experts is to create a lead generation website design. Simply put, website designers know all the best ways to:
- Guide visitors to your site (from search engines like Google search, or through Google Ads, or by SEO keywords)
- Get visitors to stay and linger on your site by combining an effective communications strategy, a well organized, clean cut display of important information with a visually appealing branding
- Get a return on investment by inspiring customers to call, register, purchase, sign up, etc., whatever the goals of your specific business may be
A great website design turns website traffic into new customers. Website design experts know exactly what your target audience is looking for, how your target audience will interact with your website, and they will create your website design to make it user friendly, with your essential information and brand messaging displayed in the most efficient and visually appealing way. And what’s more, they will make sure it looks just as good on a computer monitor as it does on a cell phone or tablet.
Website design is an investment in communications and marketing, because essentially, your website is an advertisement permanently located on the internet. All the little choices that come together to make up a site, the fonts, the colours, the logos, the graphics, are all part of your website design brand. Your website design could very well be your one and only chance to make that first impression with potential new customers.
More than just capturing a visitor’s attention, and keeping their attention, website designers can use tools like Google analytics and SEO keywords to help you understand your website visitors and future customers.
- What keywords did they use in the Google search to find your website?
- How many of them clicked on your Google Ads?
- How much time did they spend on your website?
- How many signed up for the newsletter, or filled out a request form, or purchased a product?
The better you understand your customers, the better you can serve your customers and the more you can grow your business.
Search Engine Optimization can seem complicated at first, but all you need to know is that website designers use SEO to help people on the internet find your website. So when your customers are searching for shoes, for example, in Google, SEO is what helps your shoe company’s website show up first on the list before your competitor’s website. Many people don’t bother going past the first page of search results so you need to make sure your website is the first one that people find when they are doing a Google search.
Now you know your website design 101, you know that a professional website is essential to growing your business in more ways than one. The great thing about hiring a team of website design experts at 6ix Developers is that you can let them take care of all the complicated details, and you can get back to doing what you do best and focus on your end of the business. So what are you waiting for, reach out today!